Sunday, July 19, 2015

0SPF

Well, this proved to be a rather interesting race mainly because of the odd random pains and numbness etc that had been moving through my toes, feet, ankles, knee, hamstring and hip over the previous couple weeks post 30 mile "run"...

But it seemed like things were feeling pretty decent the morning of.  Made it through the flood warnings and torrential downpours on the way up.

Then standing at the starting line I felt some new stabbing needle sensations in my right ankle.  Crap, what new pain is this?!  Then I looked down after it happened a couple more times and realized it was in fact a bug that didn't care that I was wearing compression socks, it was gonna just chew right through them/me.

But the race felt good as far as my feet, etc went.

But unfortunately the weather was as predicted.  Climbing through the 70's and clearing 80 before I was done and humidity was around 90%.  So, it was hot and humid to start.  And by around mile 8 or so I was really ready for it to be done...  I kept looking at my watch and thinking/hoping it must be messed up, it couldn't possible be that far left...

I also was hoping I could just stretch my water out a bit and be ok with my 2 23oz bottles.  But yeah, I realized that was going to be a mistake by about 90 minutes in.  I got a couple refills in there as well during my near 3 and a half hours out there.

The last half of the race was a lot of my mouth/body saying "just get gallons and gallons of ice water and pour them in!", but my stomach was saying "ehh, just take it easy on me..."

I also made mental notes of being just fine with not running any of the races I am scheduled for this year...  As well as the one I think I will try to stand by more which is to probably NOT do this race again, or any this long that may be in this sort of heat.  It was just not enjoyable for those last miles.  And that last hill was a definite death march just trying to walk up that field road in the oppressive heat, humidity and out in the sun.

So, it was a good race, but that is just too many difficulty factors for me to enjoy at that distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment